Lombardi: Stock Market Commentary & Forecasts, Financial & Economic Analysis Since 1986

DOW

Off-the-Radar Company Delivering Attractive Earnings

By | October 13, 2014

One Off-the-Radar Company with Attractive ResultsOn the day that the DOW, S&P 500, and NASDAQ Composite dropped two percent on global growth worries, once again, several companies reported very good numbers.

But investors are paying less attention to corporate results and more attention to economic news from around the world that suggests that the only mature economic engine running at any positive speed currently is the U.S. economy.

PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP) had another good quarter. … Read More

Top Growth Areas Heading into 2015

By | October 3, 2014

Growth Areas Heading into 2015The stock market is clearly struggling to stay afloat at this juncture, balancing the domestic economic renewal with the global risk coming from ISIS, Russia, the eurozone, and economic stalling in China.

A major catalyst or a reason to buy is what investors are searching for. The focus later next week will shift to the third-quarter earnings season, which is carefully monitored by investors.

The start of the third-quarter earnings … Read More

Why You Shouldn’t Overhaul Your Portfolio Right Now

By | August 15, 2014

Stocks Rolling Over Signal TroubleBiotechnology stocks and the Russell 2000 began rolling over at the beginning of July, followed by transportation stocks at the end of the month.

It’s definitely a signal that the stock market is tired, but after such a strong breakout performance in 2013, the market still hasn’t experienced a material price correction in quite some time.

Second-quarter earnings came in mostly as expected and many blue-chip stocks sold off on … Read More

Small-Cap vs. Big-Cap: The Real Winners in This Market

By | July 25, 2014

Why I'm Not Giving Up on Small-Cap StocksHealthy second-quarter results from technology and banks are helping to drive buying in stocks. On Tuesday, the S&P 500 traded at an intraday record and is again looking toward 2,000, while the blue-chip DOW is edging toward another record.

While we are hearing about how the S&P 500 will break 2,000 and the DOW will reach 20,000, we are not hearing much about small-cap stocks, which have been under some … Read More

How to Put Your Assets to Good Use in a Stalling Market

By | June 20, 2014

How to Profit in a Stalling MarketThe stock market appears to want to go higher, but it’s going to take a push by investors. While we could see the S&P 500 edge higher, I’m not convinced the gains will be that great unless the underlying stock market fundamentals improve.

I am talking about the economic renewal that appears to be stalling. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) slashed the country’s estimated gross domestic product (GDP) growth to … Read More

Financial Reports

Stock Market Setting Up for Its Next “Fire Sale”?

By | March 6, 2014

Investment Opportunity I Missed ThenWhile I was watching the screens on Monday when the stock market began to sell off on news Russia was performing military exercises off the border of the Ukraine, the last thing on my mind was to run for the exits. In fact, I was thinking that a great buying opportunity might be near.

Here’s the thing: I look at chaos or a struggling stock market as a potential buying … Read More

Why It’s Clear the Bulls Are Driving the Market

By | March 3, 2014

Investing in a Bull-Driven Stock MarketAt this time last month, the stock market was full of anxiety as we were heading for one of the worst Januarys in recent memory. The talk was about how the decline in January would trigger additional selling pressure in the stock market. The Stock Trader’s Almanac suggested there was a 47% chance the stock market would decline in 2014, but I was pretty confident on the other 53% that … Read More

How Last Week’s $28.3B Withdrawal from Equity Funds Could Benefit Investors

By | February 11, 2014

Billion Withdrawal from Equities Could Benefit Your PortfolioThe stock market may have staged a decent rally last Thursday, but it’s not enough to convince me that the worst is over. In reality, I think there are more downside moves and opportunities to buy on the stock market ahead.

The Dow, S&P 500, and NASDAQ are down by about four to five percent, so it’s really not a stock market correction at all—but simply an adjustment. A correction … Read More

Why Stocks Likely to Head Higher into the New Year

By | December 2, 2013

retail sectorToday is Cyber Monday, when consumers will flock online and spend over a billion dollars. In 2012, $1.47 billion in sales occurred on this day and the expectations are that the number could swell to $1.68 billion today. (Dengler, P., “Cyber Monday Predictions For 2013,” Business2Community.com, October 28, 2013.) We will also find out today how Black Friday and the key weekend shopping period were for the retail sector. A … Read More

How the Stock Market Staged a Rally and Not a Meltdown This May

By | June 4, 2013

Stock Market Staged a Rally and Not a Meltdown This MayMay was supposed to a dud, according to the Stock Trader’s Almanac. In 2012, the month of May was a disaster, with the Dow and the S&P 500 plummeting 6.21% and 6.23%, respectively. The technology and small-cap sectors fared even worse, with the NASDAQ and Russell 2000 giving up 7.19% and 6.74%, respectively, in May 2012.

Fast-forward a year, and this May has been blooming for the stock market. … Read More

« Older Entries